Thursday, July 31, 2008

Why Ironman?


This is a difficult time of year, all the hard training and countless hours away from friends and family really start to take there toll. I'm fortunate enough have someone I love who likes Ironman as much as I do, but at times even she feels run down and exhausted from all the training. By the end of this week I'll have done 15kms in the pool, 210kms of cycling, and 44kms of running. That's enough to keep you in a perpetual state of fatigue. I'm so tired and hungry all the time that sometimes I ask myself "why do you do this?" I know anyone training for an Ironman, or an Ultra Marathon (Alan) probably has moments like this too.

It easier to lay on the couch than it is to go out for a hard run. When it's raining outside it's a lot more fun to curl up with a love one and watch a movie than it is to gear up and spend difficult hours suffering on the bike. It's really, really hard to get up at 6am and get to the pool before work than it is to just go for a latte and arrive at work at 8am. When I think of the number of weekends Amber and I have suffered on the trainers in our basement over the winter it makes me wonder, what would we have done with all that free time if we weren't training? Something constructive I hope.

Everyone's reason for doing an Ironman is different and I hope they learn a little something about themselves along the way. This year I've learned that I do have the mental tenacity to do well in triathlon (and in life) and I hope to always try to improve the man I've become each and every day. When someone asks me "why do you do Ironman?" The best reason I can tell them is "after completing in an Ironman, everything else in life is easy."

No comments: