Friday, July 18, 2008

Tour BC- Stage 6, Quesnel to Barkerville


The last day of the tour and we are both sad to be leaving the vacation life but all good things must come to an end. Today was another difficult day, it was pouring rain when we woke up this morning and neither of us wanted to get on our bikes. The thought of leaving the nice warm tent and going out into the cold, wet, driving rain was not appealing. I really needed to go to the bathroom so I had to get up but Amber was going to go in her own time today.

The rain let up a little and it gave us a chance to tear down camp and head off for breakfast. We had a tough day ahead, over 3000ft of climbing in 95kms and very little downhill. We drove this route a week ago and we were amazed at the amount and severity of the climbs facing us today. The route out of Quesnel was the first major climb and my legs seemed to respond pretty well but they were juiced for the remaining 90kms. The rest of the ride was either up or down (mostly up) but it was very beautiful. It's hard to imagine that thousands of people made this same trek with no roads, bikes, cars or other modern forms of transportation in search of gold. The mountain passes we went over today were extremely steep, at one point I was only going 65rpms and 10km/hr! How did they do it 100 years ago?

The most difficult climb was called 'mexican hill' and it was the longest, steepest hill I'd ever faced. It was about 2kms and at least 10 percent grade. I was really struggling but I turned the pedals over and just kept going. It was a lot of fun to be doing some climbing, it's something we don't get a whole lot of and after the lunch break in a wonderful ski lodge I was in a good mood to keep going. I only had another 35kms and I just tried to soak in the beautiful surroundings and appreciate the last moments of the tour.

I pushed pretty hard today but didn't break any speed records.

Training for the day
Bike- 95kms: 3hrs 40mins

No comments: