Sunday, July 20, 2008

Prince George Olympic Tri


It was the last chance to test out the fitness before IM Louisville and after a week long bike tour it was going to be an incredible challenge. Amber and I arrived in Prince George on Saturday morning, checked in for the race and went to go look over the course. It was an unbelievably hilly route for the bike and run and I could tell that it was going to hurt.


Amber was not feeling up to it after the tour, 700kms of cycling in 7 days can do that to a person sometimes. I was still eager to get into the action so she was very supportive by coming out and cheering me on. I completely understood, you needed to be into it mentally and physically to complete this course. I did a quick warm up in the water and I could tell it was going to be a tough swim. The water was choppy and I was having a hard time getting a deep breath. I did what I could to get ready and by the time the race was underway I felt back in my element. I was struggling with the waves on the way out and I found it a little difficult to sight properly but I could see the leaders not too far in the distance. The second lap was a little easier but I was still having a hard time staying on course with the difficult waves. I exited the water in 6th it a time of 25.05, not bad considering I hadn't been in the water in a week.


The bike course was one of the most difficult rides I'd done in a race in a long, long time. The way out was a tough, tough uphill slough and it took me a very long time to get to the turn around. It was a little demoralizing to see 5 other bikers ahead of me at the turn around but I had completely forgotten that the duathlon was at the same time. I had passed quite a few people on the bike and was feeling good about my progress. The way back was a lot of fun and I was cruising along at 50 to 60kms/hr. I finished the bike in 1:07.50, including transitions.


The run was also a very tough uphill on the way out and it was extremely painful to push hard after a tough bike and the thought that I was still far behind. I kept a steady pace for the first lap and finished in 18:40, okay one more of those and I should have a really good run. Amber was there cheering me on and taking pictures and that was really great, she kept me going and the thought of winning was a great motivator. I held it steady for the second lap and finished the run in 37:16. A total time of 2:10.12, a great race and another 1st place this year! I am really having my best year ever and I owe a lot of the credit to my number one fan and great motivator, Amber. Thanks for being there for me babe!

No comments: