Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Tour BC- Stage 1, Hope to Kumsheen


The first day of the tour was exciting, Amber and I arrived a little late and we were dropping off our gear as the pre-tour announcements were taking place. We dropped our stuff off and had to run back to the hotel to grab our bikes. The adrenline was going now and to be this excited before a long stage is not a great idea. I lost Amber off the start, I thought she'd left without me but apparently she was filling up with water.

I was hammering off the start to try and catch her and it wasn't until I'd caught up with some other friends of ours that I realized she was behind me. Oh well, I knew I'd see her at the first water stop. 40km into the ride and we stopped for water and regrouped.

The sun was out full strength and by the time I hit the lunch stop, the heat was starting to take a toll. The second half was really, really hilly; typically I don't mind hills but the steep gradient and the heat was hurting me, big time! I really needed another gear to be doing these climbs. The salt collecting on my skin and the dehydration was getting to me along with the fact that I was pushing pretty hard. The last 30kms were up or down and it was a sufferfest. I definitely needed another gear but I did make it.

Training for the day
131km- 4hrs 22mins

No comments: