Thursday, July 24, 2008

Feeling Ready for Ironman


I've been back home from vacation for a couple days now and it's nice to finally sleep in our bed again and get settled. It doesn't last long however, I was back on the road again this morning and I'm in Whitecourt today, Edson tomorrow and Jasper on Monday. The nice thing about this trip is that Amber and I have a great weekend planned in Jasper. A long ride on Saturday and a long run on Sunday in the mountains where we can build some terrific fitness at altitude.

I feel recovered from Sunday's race, I did a little 55km ride on Tuesday and felt fantastic. I can tell my bike fitness is getting there, I just need to work on my endurance over the next month and I'll be ready. It's a great feeling when your body responds to the stress you put on it in a good way. I feel super fast and strong without having to expend a lot of energy. I went for a swim and run yesterday and I still have a little work to do on my swimming, I think I could still improve my technique a little. However my running is spot on! I just need to get used to running in the heat a little more. I did a 21km run last night and the first 15km felt great, my heart rate was high but I didn't feel like I was pushing hard at all. After 15kms though I could tell the heat was taking a toll, I was suffering but I kept telling myself that you need to train your mind to deal with the suffering and it helped.

I received the "Athlete's Guide" for Louisville this morning and I'm incredibly pumped to get there and start racing! I can't wait! It sounds a lot like Ironman Canada only they are starting the age groupers with a time trial swim start. That's good news for Amber who always seems to get beat up in the swim but I hope I can find a strong swimmer to draft off of. That usually saves me a lot of energy, maybe swimming downstream will help too.

No comments: