Saturday, June 28, 2008

A Beautiful Saturday to Suffer

Today was an incredible day for a long ride and Amber wanted to try the ride out to Valleyview if the wind was not a factor. Fortunately when we woke up there wasn't a hint of wind outside and we got an early start. The ride out was incredible, the scenery, the river valley, the rolling hills were all the reasons I love being out on my bike. I planned my meal schedule very carefully and I make sure that I drank ate and took salt every hour. The first half went very quickly and I was finished 107km in 3hrs and 10mins.

I fueled up in Valleyview rested for a while and gave AD a call to make sure she was doing okay. She had everything under control but was going to turn around a little sooner (95km). I started back and felt good for the majority of the ride, it wasn't until I reached a killer climb at 180km that the wheels fell off. I could barely get up the hill and my calves were really starting to hurt. I got to the top of the hill and both calves seized up and wouldn't let go! I hit the brakes and veered off into the ditch in pain and fell over while I passed out in pain. I've never experienced anything lie that before and I can definitely say I never want to experience anything like that again. I laid on the side of the highway in pain for the next 15 minutes but I knew that I had to get back on the rode if I had any hope of getting home.

The rest of the ride I was just in survival mode and I couldn't push it like I was used to. I just wanted to be out of the saddle at that point and everything in my body was hurting. I took a break in Bezanson, fueled up again and made my way back. The final 30kms were incredibly painful and it took every ounce of energy in me to keep turning the pedals over. After 6hrs and 52mins I finally made it home and collapsed, I hope Ironman doesn't turn out like this. Still two solid months to prepare, I know I'll be ready.

No comments: