Monday, June 16, 2008

Where Do You Find The Strength Feeling Like This

It's been a difficult weekend for AD and I, she's been feeling a little worn down and depleted and I've been struggling with a lack of energy as well. This is the tough time of year, the time when you need to be stronger than ever and complete a lot of tough training weekends but your body and mind start to revolt. We've had a long winter spinning in the basement and completing the long runs in the bitter cold Grande Prairie winter but now it's starting to take it's toll. I'm really excited that the racing season is in full swing but constantly training and racing is really hard on the body.

Yesterday I was determined to get in a long ride and even though the weather was terrible, rainy and cold, I geared up and headed out. The first hour was okay I think my mind was rebelling but after I ate a PB sandwich on the bike I felt better and soldiered on. The second hour was tough, a very hilly section of the ride and I was downing water like crazy. I was starting to run out of water when I was approaching Wanham (85km) but I knew I'd have a chance to fill up. Was I ever surprised when I reached the town and it was completely shut down! Not one business, gas station, nothing was open. ARRGH!

It was another 21km to the next town Rycroft, and that was a very, very tough 21kms. I was bonking and it took everything in me to just keep turning over the pedals. I was geared up and the sun came out a couple times which didn't help. I made it to Rycroft and pulled into a gas station and immediately binged; coke, sandwich, chips, kit kat, milk, water, whatever I could get my hands on. Fortunately I felt a little better but that was the time when the sky decided to pour down on me. I was feeling really spent at that point and decided to call Amber to pick me up, I'd had enough.

Amber did a shorter ride today and just got home when I called so she was happy to come get me. I waited for a while and then she called to say the highway was closed and traffic was backed up for a very, very long way. I waited a little while longer hoping the rain would pass but it kept coming down full force. She called again to say that nothing was moving and it would probably be faster if I just started riding again. I wasn't too excited about going out in the rain, I was tired, freezing, dehydrated and sore but the universe was telling me my day wasn't over yet.

Back on the bike in the rain and fortunately it let up as soon as I left Rycroft. I kept spinning for another 20kms going very slow, it is a long slow grind up a false flat and that's when I saw AD coming towards me. Whew, thanks babe.

Bike 131kms; 4hrs 6mins

INSPIRATION ON THE BIKE

No comments: