Saturday, June 14, 2008

Becoming Familiar With The Trainer Again

The weather in GP today was a little uncertain, it looked like it was going to rain but the clouds just kind of hung around and didn't do too much. AD and I were not excited about getting outside on the bikes so we decided to set them up on the trainers and do a spin inside. We warmed up for 30 minutes and popped in the Chris Carmichael training DVD. It is a tough, tough hour interval session and I quickly realized that all the outdoor endurance training I've been doing has not really helped my short-fast-power ability. I was struggling after the first 20 minutes. AD kept me motivated and I made it through but I downed 2 bottles of water in 90 minutes. She even kept me going for another 30 minutes and I was surprised to feel so drained after two hours but it was a good effort on the bike for today.

I've been wanting to increase my brick workouts and it was a difficult day to start but after getting a little food in me I felt better and went out for a run. The day was nice and cool which was great but I was running on really tired legs. I finished the first 5kms in 19:55 and pushed it a little bit for the second 5km finishing with a total time of 39:31. I'm feeling really good about my progress in all three disciplines and I'm really looking forward to next weekend's race in Sherwood Park. There will be some strong competitors there but I'm ready to get in the open water and give it everything I've got. I guess we'll find out how I feel soon enough, the season is in full swing now, I love it!

No comments: