Thursday, July 30, 2009

Tour BC- Stage 7, Kimberley to Creston


Today was the last day and I think a lot of people were relieved it's almost done. I've been feeling so great throughout the entire week that I'm a little sad that I'm not going to be waking up every morning at 6am and go out for a long ride. I think the most valuable thing I've learned out of this week is that if I have to do it, I can. No matter how much I may be dreading a 5 or 6 hour ride if I set the intention and I'm smart about fueling, I can get through any training day. I really needed to re-learn that before Ironman.

Today's ride was another beautiful one, there was one stretch of rode that looped around a farm with some horses and then vered up into the hills. The pavement was absolutely perfect and there wasn't a car anywere near. The trees sheltered the road and cast some beautiful shadows and all I could hear was the effort of my breathing as I powered up the hill. I knew that I just had a prefect cycling moment, that moment when it's just you and the road and the beauty of nature all around. That's why I love coming on this tour, I always have a moment like that at some point during the week.

The rest of the ride was great other than a slight mechanical I had with 55kms to go. I went to put my waterbottle back in the cage behind my seat and the whole set-up fell off! Waterbottles, cages, spare, levers, CO2, holder, everything. I was really lucky no one was behind me because it surely whould have taken out whoever was there. It seems the alloy was obvouisly cracked and split down the middle, oh well I kind of liked my previous set up anyway. The bottles came out of the holders way too often with this system.

I made it back to Creston in decent time and had a chance to find all the bags and have a shower before Amber got back. We checked-in to our dumpy motel in town and immediately went to get Harley as soon as possible. It was so great to see him again, Amber and I have never seen him so excited when he saw us. All four limbs and his body were shaking at the same time, it's nice that he missed us too. I'm happy we're all back together again, everything is as it should be.

Bike- 140kms, 4:14

No comments: