Thursday, July 30, 2009

2009 Tour BC- Stage 1, Creston to Woodberry Resort


It's finally here! It feels like it's been a long winter and I have felt like I've just been waiting for the warm weather to come so I could finally get in some good riding. The day before we left for tour BC it was warm and sunny in GP but the wind was howling at 40km/hr. I was actually thinking of riding in the basement for an hour instead of going outside. How riduculous is that, a warm sunny July day and the wind was so bad that I contemplated not going outside. In the end I did go out and had a nice 40km ride but still had to battle the wind.

We spent the next two days in the car which was a little uneventful other than some drama with the caregiver we arranged for Harley. Amber and I really want to make sure he is in a good home for a week but there was a bit of a mix up with who we arranged to take him in Calgary. So he made the trek with us out to Creston and Amber found a great place for him there plus we'll get to see him as soon as we're done the tour.

I was a little nervous going into the first day of riding, I still haven't been feeling 100% and Saturday in Creston was 35'C. I haven't had any warm weather training this year and now I'm jumping right into this! Yikes. The ride turned out to be okay after both Amber and I finished fixing flats in the first 8kms. The road was a cyclists' dream, beautiful rollers next to an incredible lake with perfect weather. I rode with Amber and although she was pushing a lot harder than she's used to, it was nice to have her there.

When I came close to the ferry crossing I hit the first major climb, about 5kms at 6-8%. I was riding well and bounced up the hill easily. After the ferry was the next big climb and that one was a lot harder, not necessarily steeper or longer but after relaxing for an hour or two waiting for the ferry and on the ferry, my legs started to stiffen up. However it was only another 20kms to the resort and I made it without any trouble. I'm glad I didn't push myself too hard today, there are a lot of tough days ahead.

Bike- 120kms; 4:15

No comments: