Thursday, July 30, 2009

Tour BC- Stage 4, Revelstoke to Golden


Today was definitely the longest and hardest day of the tour, two major climbs one of them Rogers Pass which gains 900m over 30kms. Most of the climb was a slow-steady grade which really paid havoc on my knees. By the time I hit the top of the pass at 68kms my right knee was in so much pain. I thought the descent and a little easy spinning would help but there was another major climb leading into the final water stop. At that point one of the staff offered me a couple motrin and the pain was magically gone, I don't usually like taking anything but I absolutely needed it to get into town today.

The heat really started to hurt everyone before the end of the day, I ran out of water and was dying by the end. I met up with Amber before the finish and she was suffering in the heat too but still made it in without any major issues other than some neck and shoulder pain. The rest of the day was so hot, it was very difficult to find someplace comfortable to go. We did the best we could to try and cool down and I iced my aching knee and fiddled with my seat to see if changing it had some effect on my position.

Bike- 160kms, 5:42

No comments: