Thursday, July 30, 2009

Tour BC- Stage 6, Radium to Kimberley


Today was the second last day of the tour and you can tell everyone is starting to feel really beat up from all the consecutive days on the road. It's so hard to motivate yourself to go for another 5hr ride after five hard days in the saddle. However Amber and I opted for a motel in Radium and had an awesome night watching the tour and resting. Friday morning we got up early went to a coffee shop and had a little breakfast and hit the road.

I planned on taking it easy today, it was going to be a long day and the final climb into Kimberely looked really tough from the profile. Once I get out on the road though my mind calms and my legs take over, this is their domain and I'm powerless to stop them from hammering. There is such a sense of peace and contentment being out there on the road crusing along at 40km/hr. I suppose it's the same feeling that draws people to ride motorcycles but I enjoy it so much more when my legs are the engine.

The first water stop was at 40kms and after a brief refueling I headed out towards the lunch stop at 95kms. It's much easier if I can break down the day into; 1st water stop, lunch stop, 2nd water stop, finish. It seems a lot less daunting than '160km ride today.' I made it to lunch in great time covering the first 90kms in 2:45. The ride was incredibly beautiful and I felt truely blessed to be out here with Amber. We're both missing Harely a lot and I think 7 days away from him is long enough. Somehow it's tough to really feel like you're on vacation unless you're together as a family. Still I'm loving every mintue of this holiday and I'm going to remember this time of my life as one of the best.

Bike- 160kms, 5:07

No comments: