Thursday, July 30, 2009

Tour BC- Stage 5, Golden to Radium


It was a lazy morning today, I think all of these cumulative miles are starting to play havoc on my body. Surprisingly my legs feel a little tired but great when riding. I needed a day like today; flat and fast! I left town with Amber and didn't know what kind of day I was going to have until I dropped into my aerobars and started a hard push. I was absolutely flying today! The course was gentle rollers and I cruised by people at 40kms/hr listening to them go "whoa, what was that!" What a great feeling that is.

Fortunately I didn't have any issues with my knee and I covered the first 70kms in under 2hrs. Amber was in a paceline with the two other GP girls and was not far behind me. I was happy to see that she was having a good day because yesterday's long ride really hurt her. We are both getting stronger though and by the end of the tour we'll both have some excellent bike fitness leading into the Calgary 70.3.

Radium is absolutely beautiful and after resting and eating I did manage to get out for a little trail run in the heat of the day. It probably reached 36 or 37'C, the run hurt but I definitely got what I was looking for with all this hot weather training. Tomorrow calls for showers so maybe one day away from the heat will be a nice break. It's another long day tomorrow, 140kms; I'll try and stretch it out to 160 but it all depends on how my knee holds up. There are some big climbs going into Kimberley so I definitely have to keep some in the tank for the finish.

Bike- 120kms, 3:42
Run- 40 minutes

No comments: