Monday, May 19, 2008

A Great May Long Weekend In GP

Amber and I had a great training weekend together and spent some time exploring more of the Peace Country. Friday we went out for a tough 50km TT ride in the wind and I think that took a lot out of me and set me up for a very tough next three days. I was still feeling good but it's hard sometimes to tell when you've pushed it a little too hard. I found out on Saturday when we went out for our long ride, as you could probably tell from my last post, it was one of the toughest training days I've had in a very, very long time.

On Sunday I was up for going for a little trail run and Amber had heard about some nice trails at the Wapiti Nordic Centre. It was a great place to run and I wanted to go for at least 90mins but after 30mins my body was telling me that was it! I was so physically drained and felt as if I could not put one foot in front of another, it literally took everything in me to just run 30mins. I was really disappointed but I gained solace in the fact that Amber had a good day and we were in an incredibly beautiful place. It was hard to feel down when you were surrounded by nature and in a magnificent enviroment. North West Alberta is definitely a beautiful place to be in the spring and summer, who would have thought? I love our new home.

Today I was really apprehensive about getting on the bike again after having such a difficult ride on Saturday. AD was my little motivator and got me out the door and I'm glad she did. I took it easy and stayed in my recovery zone, the wind was full force again on the way out and I had the opportunity to ride with my girl. She stayed in my draft for most of the ride and we had a great day together. It wasn't that hot out so I wasn't worried about running out of water but by the time we got to Sexsmith (70km) we were ready for a little break. We finished the day with a 5km transition run and I felt great again, thank God! A great weekend and we had a lot of fun going our for our rides/ runs while we watched the neighbours do yard work all weekend. Ha ha suckers.

No comments: