Monday, November 12, 2007

Riding in Lance's Last Tour

Sunday AD and I were feeling really lazy in the morning but the nice thing about living with another triathlete is that you can usually motivate one another even when you're not feeling 100%. I motivated her to get on the trainer Sunday morning after our hard race on Saturday and we did two hours of fairly hard effort while watching Lance's last Tour victory in 2005. Watching him, Ulrich, and Basso who always manage to drop everyone else motivates me to work harder, because you know that they were going through a lot more suffering than I could ever imagine.

Seeing the Tour in it's glory days almost makes me forget the tragic events of this year's Tour. I am very happy that Tour officials have taken a hard line against riders who are doping, but it really was sad to see so many elite athletes get kicked out this year. I remain hopeful that one day the sport will be completely clean and that every rider will be tested throughout the year, just like Lance was when he was riding. I laugh at people who say he used drugs when he won his Tours, he was the most tested athlete in the world, while he was riding and during the off season. He tells one story in his book, "Every Second Counts" about officials showing up at his door to do a random drug test when his wife started to go into labor. He was not allowed to take her to the hospital until he completed the test! My God! Give the guy a break, can't you test him after he takes his wife to the hospital?

Today my motivation was lacking, but AD wanted to get in the pool, which forced me to do so as well, thanks babe. I managed to get in 3k and although the pool was really busy, I kept my lane and got in a full hour. It's so nice to be back home!

No comments: