Sunday, November 18, 2007

Mental Training Day


Today was a tough day to train, Amber and I were both really tired from this week's workouts and it took everything in each of us to get outside and do our usual long run on Sunday. It was extra motivation to know that Ironman Louisville was on TV today but unfortunately it wasn't being aired in Canada and the bar we went to didn't have it on satellite. We peeled ourselves off the couch around 11:30 and went to work.

The first 10 minutes were okay but when I hit the wind in North Glenmore park it was absolutely horrible! It took everything in me to not stop and turn back home. I knew that days like today are what you need to prepare yourself mentally for an Ironman. I was tired, cold, and barely moving, but I was moving and I needed to keep it up to get through today's training. After descending in the weaselhead area I felt a little better, I was at least out of the wind, but I could tell my body was really tired. I managed to do the reservoir loop in 1:13, not my best day but today was more mental than anything else. I haven't taken a day off since I got back from Toronto so I figure I'm due for one tomorrow, I've just been too excited to ride since I got my bike back.

No comments: