Monday, February 16, 2009

Long Weekend Training Camp

It's been a great long weekend hanging out with Amber, her cousin Heidi, and some great triathlon friends. Friday I started the day with a 3km swim and felt really good in the water, it was my 4th swim for the week and I was a little tired but my form was still strong. I came home after work and sat on the bike and spun for an hour. The weekend was just beginning and my legs were getting a really good warm up but I was determined to complete some quality training.

Saturday Amber and I met up with the running crew and did the usual 11km loop and it was relaxed and comfortable. The best part about the run is the coffee and hanging out afterwards. It's great to talk triathlon with everyone afterward and it's exciting to hear about some of the tough training people are putting in this time of year. I love to hear about some of the races other people have done but I have to remember not to get caught up in what other people are doing and simply stick to what works for me. It's easy to start doubting what you are doing when you hear that so and so did this and had their best season ever! Well that worked for so and so but there's no way it would work for me. I think I've found a nice balance of hard training and aerobic workouts that helps me peak when the season comes around. I'm looking forward to seeing how all the hard workouts will have paid off come May, June, July, and August. Of course you can't "peak" for four months but I can be in great shape and peak for a couple focus races.

Sunday we had a group of six other people join us for a two hour easy spin that was anything but easy! It took a good 20 minutes for my legs to feel normal but then I got into a groove. I pushed for the remaining 1:50 and by the end I'd gone through two bottles, four towels, one fruit bar and I was soaked. Someone asked if I dropped my water bottle, no that's just my sweat.

Today I was really tired and passed on the outdoor run some people were doing (in -25' weather!) and did an hour on the treadmill and half hour on the bike. That's all I had left this weekend. Great long weekend of training and time to get back to normal work life tomorrow.

1 comment:

IMC1040 said...

Hey Darren....it actually tured out to be a nice day for our run yesterday...its amazing how -25 can feel pretty good when the sun is bright and the wind calm...and the Weyhauser Hill helped heat thing up also...see you at the pool in the AM!