Thursday, April 10, 2008

Thinking About The Marathon

Well I'm sure every athlete in Canada went out to see "Spirit of the Marathon" last night, Amber and I were no exception. It was great to see the journey's of a lot of different people from the very elite to the average Joe's out there. The movie focused on the Chicago Marathon and it obviously wasn't last year because that was one of the hottest races on record. I found it interesting that everyone has their own reasons for doing a marathon but all of them seemed to be stronger, well rounded, disciplined people because of the dedication it takes to prepare for a race.

What I like about preparing for a race is that I can feel completely drained and exhausted from a day of work but if I go home and force myself to go for a run, I immediately feel better. I also love the competition and excitement of getting ready to race, and I'm a very goal oriented person so the process of setting a goal and reaching it is very satisfying and keeps me motivated to train harder. I'm feeling really ready for Boston and I'm excited to see how I'll feel on the 21st. I've been a little apprehensive lately because some of my training runs have not been as fast as I'm hoping to go in the race but I know I'll be able to pull it together. I'm coming out in the best shape for a marathon that I've ever been in. It's going to be a race of a lifetime and I know it won't be the last, I'm hoping AD and I can do at least one international race every year.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey D...where did you get your countdown clock? Looks cool ... I want to add the same one to my blog...

Very excited to hear about the pre-Boston preparation...you guys rock - the more I try to run - the more respect and admiration I have for you guys! I wish I could run like the wind as you guys do...

Talk to you soon...hope all is well in GP! ;-)