Saturday, November 1, 2008

Saturday Suffering


This morning was the second week of hard training courtesy of Coach Troy and it was one of the toughest sessions I have ever done!!! I woke up and met a few of the Grande Prairie running crew for a good steady 7 mile run and it was nice to hang out with some like minded athletes. Everyone is really friendly and they are an unbelievably committed group. They said they run all winter; rain, snow, sleet, whatever. The toughest run last year was a -30 degree 1 hour run and quite a few of them showed up. That's dedication!

It was just AD and myself for the spin at 10am and it was a 2 hour sufferfest called "Have Mercy" and that's exactly what I was saying about an hour into it. I was absolutely soaked with sweat and there was a huge puddle under my bike. My legs were absolutely screaming for the full 2 hours. Coach Troy knows how to mix it up and he is an expert at not allowing you to fully recover before ramping up the pain again. One of the toughest sets was a five minute effort of 4 seconds all out, 4 seconds rest. You would think 4 seconds is not a big deal but by the end the constant acceleration and deceleration you are ready to puke! When there was 30 minutes left I was hoping that the pain would stop but in fine Coach Troy fashion he kept us hurting until the final 2 minutes! Tomorrow is a long run and it'll be interesting to see how my legs are going to respond I'm going to give it my best effort but it'll be a slow and steady effort.

Congrats to my good buddy Chris Daniel who posted a 9:34 in Ironman Florida, amazing!! Great job Chris! Unbelievable considering he wasn't sure if he'd ever be able to compete in another Ironman again because he has no meniscus in his left knee.

No comments: