Monday, November 10, 2008

Running With a New Training Partner


Well it's been a week since we got Harley and it definitely has been fun. I feel a little bad at times because Amber takes on the brunt of all the work but he's a good dog and a great companion to both of us. I took him for his first run with me on Friday and he is really, really excited at the beginning but tends to tire out after about 12kms. He can hold on for a little while but by 14kms I'm dragging and urging him to "keep going! Only 1km left Harley!"

I thought he might just have been tired that day so I took him out again on the same route on Sunday and just like clockwork, right at 14kms he slows down almost to a crawl. He's a very strong dog with a lot of energy but I'm definitely going to work on his endurance over the next couple of months. I know he has the ability to run 25-30kms with me, I just need to have him learn to; "pace yourself Harley, pace yourself." It's been a lot of fun having him around and I think he probably thinks Amber and I are a little crazy because we dote on him so much but we both love having him around and it adds an entirely new dynamic to our typically serene lives.

Saturday we had a group of three other riders join us in our basement for an easy spin. It's nice to meet some other triathletes in the area and for such a small community I'm quite surprised to see a great group of people who love to train. I'm trying to make it a regular Saturday session and so far we are in week 3. I need to have that extra motivation of having other people around to push me in order to get through the long-cold winter here. I've still been running outside but I'm really glad we bought a treadmill, things are getting pretty cold already and training with other people helps me keep the winter weight off!

No comments: