Sunday, March 9, 2008

Trying to Train on the Road

I can see how travelling makes it difficult to keep up with a good training regimen. I left for the road trip at 5:30 Thursday morning and arrived in Whitecourt at about 9:30. After working all day I was really, really tired and all I could think of doing was going to bed. That day was a write off.

Friday we continued on to Edson, again very early but I was feeling a little more rested. I spent the morning working there and then we headed to Jasper for the afternoon. Jasper is really, really beautiful and I was quite happy to be in the mountains again. I met some of the branch staff and went out for a run. I ran along the Icefields parkway about 7km out and 7km back in an hour, it was a little deceiving because going out I felt really slow but coming back I realized I was going downhill.

Saturday was the long drive back to Grande Prairie but the highway back was incredible and looked like it would have some seriously challenging bike rides. AD and I will definitely have to check that out more seriously in a couple weeks when we should be able to start outdoors again. Put away the trainer, it's almost time to hit the road again!

I was so happy to get back home and see AD again, I can see that the most difficult thing about this job will be the time away from her. We spent two hours spinning yesterday and now I'm looking forward to a long run in the park with her, it's nice to be back home.

No comments: