Sunday, January 6, 2008

Tough Training Weekend

Well this weekend I was not at my best but I'd rather have a bad day or two in early season training than during a time when it really matters. Saturday AD and I hopped on the bikes to do our usual Saturday morning long ride and planned to complete 2 1/2 to 3 hours, we had Ironman 1994 and 1995 as entertainment so I was excited to get going. About 30 minutes into the ride I could tell my legs were not going to give me the effort I was hoping for. Seeing Greg Welch win his first Ironman world championship in 1994 kept me going but it was a hard 90 minutes. I was drinking a lot more than I usually do and was really starting to slow. I had a tough run Friday night so it was no surprise it caught up to me that morning.

The second half of the bike was absolutely excruciating and it didn't help that 1995 was the year that Paula Newby Fraser completely broke down 400 yards from the finish line and went from 1st to 4th. I was feeling lightheaded and weak, thank God for AD, she was my strength that morning and kept me going, although she was feeling rough too and said she kept going because I was there. We're such great training partners and the drama of the 1995 race was absolutely great to watch.

This morning I pinched a nerve in my neck and I've been having trouble moving all day but I decided to do a run with Amber and take it easy for a couple hours. We went down towards Stanley Park and then back towards Heritage Park. It was a great recovery run and I'm really happy to do a run with AD every once in a while, 1hr 50mins completing 20k.

No comments: