Saturday, January 12, 2008

A Great Race Followed by a Tough Bike


Today was the second last x-country race for Amber and I and we went out feeling good after a fairly tough training week. We were back in bike class on Thursday and it was a tough 4.5km TT and some other drills. Friday was our usual long swim, although they haven't been regular lately, we usually try to get in the water on Friday night 3.3k.

The race was a real mess at the start, a very narrow path which was very crowded and dangerous but I managed to navigate through the confusion and be in about 6th or 7th. I gradually made my way through a lot of the field and tried to stick on Trev Williams but he was just a little too much after all the climbs. I felt a lot better than I normally do during those races and it is really great to see all the training is paying off. I finished in 3rd, 2nd in my age and so did AD, a great race!

We came back home and jumped on the bikes for a tough 90min effort while watching the 1997 Ironman, a great race for the women. Paula finally appears to pass the torch on and Sian Welch and Wendy Ingram crawl to the finish for 4th and 5th places. My legs were not all there and it was really tough to get over 100RPMs but I knew that it was going to help flush them out. Tomorrow is a 90min run, life as an Ironman athlete.

No comments: