Sunday, September 30, 2007

It Feels Good to be Racing Again!


Yesterday was the first race in the Calgary Road Runners cross-country series and although the race is only 8km, it hurt like hell. It was a completely different type of pain than Ironman training, that short-lung-burning, leg cramping, side-splitting pain that only comes from a hard all-out effort. It felt great! I never realized how much I missed those little races until I was back in one again. The course was a constant uphill- downhill rolling trail just east of Canada Olympic Park, it was absolutely beautiful with the fall colours and Amber and I were really happy to spend some time racing in our fabulous city. I finished the 8km course in 33:55, third in my age group and fourth overall. Amber finished third in her age category as well and felt good throughout.

In other news I received a great opportunity for a new job doing what I love, advising clients on their investments, in Grande Prairie. Yes, it is a BIG change for Amber and I, but it is also an incredible opportunity that we couldn't pass up. We talked a lot about how this would change our life, the training, leaving the city we've come to love, but we're excited to start a new chapter in a new place. I've told my new boss that I'm willing to put in two years there and then I would like to come back, or relocate to a place at our choosing and he said he'd be happy to support me with that. We've looked into local races and training facilities and there is great places to train and develop as athletes. Also we'll be able to buy a house out there, something we couldn't seem to do here in Calgary. We're both very excited and happy for this new career opportunity and although the move isn't going to be until March, we're already thinking about what our life will be like up there. Different, yes but sometimes switching things up is exactly what you need to do to really grow as an athlete, person, and a couple.

4 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Congrats on the XC performance - that is fantastic...looks like fun...really... ok, maybe not for me! ;-)

Also congrats on the new job - it is too bad that we will lose such a great couple of triathletes and people to Grande Prairie - but I'm sure we'll be able to catch up many times throughout the year at various races and events...not to mention the blogs! Make sure you keep them updated.

Congrats again D-man - very exciting opportunity.

Scott Curry said...

Very exciting my man. We'll have to do a bit of training before you go.

Want to do a 3.5hour ride Oct 13th? Will you have your bike back?

Scott Curry said...

I meant Sun Oct 14th?