Monday, September 10, 2007

I Thought I was Taking a Year Off?

This week was very tough for both Amber and I, we were both very proud of the progress we made this year with our fitness and the thought of taking a year off IM training was making us feel a little depressed. When you have such a short window to compete and do well in events like Ironman, you want to make sure that you have given everything you can while you still have the ability. On Friday I did some research as to what IM events were open for registration on the off chance that Amber was willing to scrap our plans to go to the Tour de France and go for another year of IM training. The only event I could really find was IM Wisconsin which was running this weekend.

When I told AD the way I had been feeling and the fact that I didn't really want to lose a year of fitness and start over again, I was surprised to hear that she felt the same way. We're definitely meant for each other! AD did some further research and read some race reports and we decided that IM Louisville was a good choice for us. It's a smaller race which means the swim will be a little more controlled and easier to prepare for, and it's a new race which means that all the hotels in the area are not jacking up their prices on that weekend and gouging the athletes and their families.

So there it is, what was supposed to be a year off has turned into another year of IM training. This year we plan on doing more "over-distance" rides to help us prepare for the bike, some more specific swim training, and running enough to build up some speed while not running too much to risk injury. Weight training in the winter really helps with base development and injury prevention. For an update as to what races we are tentatively looking at doing, take a look at the side menu.

After meeting Scott Curry and the pro gang in Bragg Creek on Sunday and hearing what he is planning on doing this winter, I think AD and I should look into getting some cross-country skis as well. Thanks for the suggestion Scott, I know you'll kick ass in Florida this November.

No comments: