Wednesday, September 19, 2007

The Feeling of Freedom!

I have always loved running, even in grade school I really enjoyed the cool September air when the leaves are changing and everything around you is incredibly beautiful. I used to go out after school and run around the field countless times just to have that feeling of freedom and speed. Yesterday after work I recaptured that same feeling. I started out with the intention of simply going for a nice jog to release some built up energy, but I felt so good that after a km or so I gradually started to run faster and faster. My legs were stretching out further my arms started moving harder and harder, my breathing was deeper and I had a feeling of unbelievable euphoria.

I was moving faster and faster with each step and I wondered if I should slow down because this route normally takes me about an hour to complete. Throughout Ironman training that was my mindset, "slow down, there is nothing fast about doing an Ironman" and this is the way you have to think, you're not going to last if you don't. But today I just wanted to recapture some of that feeling of flying faster than you thought you could go. I was moving well and felt as if nothing could catch me, the grass whipped my legs and sweat poured down my face and I was really flying. I hadn't felt like this since the road-runners cross country series races last winter, I'm really looking forward to racing them again this winter.

I arrived home exhausted and unbelievably happy, that was one of the best running workouts I've had in a long time; 13km- 51:45. I can't wait to do it again.

No comments: