Monday, August 18, 2008

Slowing Down The Run


This past weekend was tough, energy was low and I couldn't execute the workouts I had planned. Saturday I planned to do a long ride, 180kms and it turned into a shorter ride, 90km followed by a brief t-run 20 minutes. Sunday I planned on doing a long run but I think the heat has been sapping my energy because I could only do a 30 minute open water swim and I was extremely exhausted. We did have the opportunity to hang out with family at the lake though, that's something we haven't really done with every weekend being accounted for with training.

I blew off the swim this morning but I'll get in there tomorrow morning, I wanted to have enough energy to have a good run today. I arrived back home from work a little earlier than normal and I was eager to get out in the heat and practice somewhat of what it'll be like in Louisville. I wore a 2L camelback and I'm really glad I did, I kept taking little sips during the 2 hours and I felt pretty good. I didn't have the anticipated 'crash' I usually do on long runs that are this hot but things did cool off considerably during the second half. The last 5K I had a nice light rain to bring me home.

There is a beautiful trail at the end of Muskoseepi park and from our house it's about 10.5km to get there. I had so much fun on the trails and I was treated to a great change. The nearby construction closed down a section but fortunately they cleared a new section, it was about 2 or 3 degrees cooler on the trail, probably because the heat isn't beating off the pavement and I felt great. I was going a little slower than normal but I wanted to find a pace that was sustainable for Ironman. Lately I'm been out there killing myself on every run and I needed to know that I have the ability to feel pretty good for just over three hours (or hopefully just under). I'm pretty sure I can sustain 14km/hr which is a 3 hour marathon, we'll see what the day brings.

No comments: