Saturday, August 30, 2008

One More Sleep

It's been a long time coming but tomorrow it's time to drop the hammer, the day I've been waiting for is tomorrow. I've been training hard for the entire year and I know I can't be any more prepared than I am right now. Amber and I went out for a brief swim-bike-run today just to keep the legs fresh and remember what it feels like. It was nice and cool this morning but now the sun is out in full force and 31 degrees here feels like 38. It's supposed to be 33 tomorrow but I'm hoping the heat won't be a major factor until the run, by that point I think I can handle it. The key for me is just to keep the emotions under control, drink, take in a lot of salt, eat continuously and use ice whenever I get the chance.

The one thing I love about Ironman is the fact that it is a real race of grit and determination. To be called a true Ironman you have to be not only tough but patient. It is an extremely tough race to do well in and although there are people who have a natural ability, I've always had to work very hard to make any progress. I'm very happy to be here and take part in this wonderful event I just know what suffering lies ahead and I have to prepare my mind to push through it tomorrow.

The plan for tomorrow is to push a little on the first part of the swim, just to find some open water and to get through the upstream portion of the swim. Then stay relaxed and take long powerful strokes while heading downstream. Remain relaxed and controlled during the first 45kms of the bike, taking in 3 salt tabs, one fruit bar, one gel and a bottle of heed. Keep the heart rate in zone 2 and only enter zone 3 on hills and when I need to pass, the next 45kms I'll take another 3 salt tabs, one fruit bar, two gels, and another bottle of heed. The next 45kms will include another 3 salt tabs, graham cookies, a fruit bar, a gel, and a bottle of noon. The final 45kms I'll have another 3 salt tabs, 3 gels, a bottle of water, and another bottle of noon. By the time I hit the run I should be okay, the legs will be a little juiced but I should be able to maintain a fairly comfortable 14km/hr pace and I'm going to rely on the aid stations for water, gatorade, coke, and ice. I'll have my own salt and I'll need another tab every 1/2 hour, which means taking in another 6 tabs. I usually don't run with a hat but in this heat it's going to be very helpful to be able to put ice in your hat which will hopfully last a few minutes between aid stations.

That's the plan, the important thing is not to give up on it when things get rough out there (and they most likely will). I'm going to try to stick to it, that's what helped me last year, the early calories I took in on the bike paid off later in the run. Be flexible as well, if I miss an aid station or forget to take something in, I won't abandon my strategy.

All I can do now is rest and wait for tomorrow, it feels like I've been waiting far too long but the countdown is almost over and I'm ready to rock!

1 comment:

Murray Lincoln said...

Hey Darin...
Question - is your Dad's name Gary...Mom's name Shirley... and Grandma's name Annie...? If so we are cousins... I have read what you are writing on your Blog...great stuff. I wish you success in your next big race!

I am the cousin that got your Dad into lots of trouble - but Oh Boy did we have fun doing it...

Murray Lincoln
Peterborough
murray.lincoln@gmail.com