Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Time to Start Getting Serious


I love this time of year, when the weather starts to change and the snow slowly (very slowly if you live in GP) begins to melt away. It seems that the winter just does not want to give up this year and we just keep getting hit with cold blast after cold blast. However I always feel that once the Boston Marathon has been run, the training season is officially underway. This year's race was absolutely incredible, Geoffrey Mutai, an unbelievable Kenyan runner stole the show clocking an incredible 2:03.02. It's hard to imagine what it means to run a time like that but to put that into perspective; when I was a University soccer player we had a running test we used to have to do- 400m intervals on a minimum time of 1:20 x 8. If you did all 8 under 80 seconds you could play, if not then forget it. Trying to get the final four intervals under 1:20 was tough, you basically had to sprint to get to the finish in time. As I started get fitter I could get my time down to about 1:15 for all the intervals but it was very, very tough I was wiped out for the rest of the week after that workout. Geoffrey ran 1:10 400m pace for 42.2kms, wow... that's very, very impressive.

There is 19 weeks until Ironman and although I don't think I'll ever be able to run that fast, I'm hoping the Easter training camp weekend Robert and I have planned will kick my butt into some hard training sessions once again. I've been a little slack since coming back from Puerto Rico but now I have to get down to business and start training seriously again. Two weeks until the first running race of the year, the Brian Harms 10 miler and I'm going to treat that as a warm up to the GP press run 1/2 marathon at the end of May. My running hasn't been as good as in previous years but I still think there is time to improve and I'm focusing more on being a well rounded triathlete as opposed to just a runner who does triathlon. Regardless of the results this year I want to have fun and enjoy training with Amber and my friends. I still feel that I have one or two more really good IM races left in me and I want to give it everything I have but more and more I'm starting to feel like being out and enjoying the things I love to do with others is definitely the most important aspect.

No comments: