Saturday, April 30, 2011

Remember to Take Your Time


Spring is a wonderful time and for those of us in Northern Alberta it's an incredible time! 6 long and brutal months of winter finally come to an end and all I feel like doing is getting outside on my bike and riding for hours. The problem with being a triathlete is that I start to feel pressure to be as fit as possible as soon as I start riding outside. I know it's not reasonable to go from riding inside for a couple hours to being outside, fighting the unbelievable GP wind and feeling strong and fast. Patience is a virtue that can be difficult when you're excited about something and for me it's being fast on my bike.

I've done a couple of rides with friends and it's difficult to get dropped so easily by others that I should be riding with but I have to keep telling myself that my body absorbs the training in it's own time. I think the triathlete attitide of "I should be in top shape right now!" is difficult to let go of because I always want to have incredible training sessions everytime I go out. How easily I forget that every year I suffer a really bad bonk during a 90 to 100km training ride at some point in April or May. So this year I'm remembering to take my time. I'll still push myself to hard in training and I'm sure Robert will push me to the point of 'blowing up' a few times this year but that's all a part of the process and I'm confident that by July I'll be ready to race again. I just have to remember to not worry about feeling out of race shape right now and work hard to get to where I want to be and things will fall into place.

No comments: