Friday, April 1, 2011

Lines and Scars

Lately I've been noticing a lot of advertising about how to eliminate this scar or some magic cream or surgery that will make you look years younger. When Amber and I were in Puerto Rico we noticed an obvious American tourist couple that were sitting near us during dinner and the woman had a face that was stretched so tight that she looked deformed. I'm not saying that this trend is anything new, but more and more people (men and women) are worried about how to eliminate this scar or what they need to do to get rid of this wrinkle on their face. I think there is a lot of pressure on everyone these days to look good and I think that the pendulum has swung too far in the wrong direction. It seems that everyone is afraid to look older; a grey hair, a laugh line, a facial scar is a reason to seek professional help and have it taken care of.

I don't want to die without any lines or scars, they tell the story of my life. Every wrinkle, every scar is an event or memory that never goes away, good and bad. Imagine yourself 40- 50- 60 years from now, whenever you see yourself passing away and you are sitting at a table with all your friends telling stories about your life. Would you want to be telling exciting stories about how you rode a mountain bike so hard that you crashed on a rock down a steep drop and that gave you the scar on your face, or would you want to talk about how you were so afraid to leave your home because the sun gives you wrinkles... LAME. Everyone has a story and that story is written on your face, your hands, your feet, and the rest of your body. Don't be afraid to grow older, I love every wrinkle and scar on Amber and Harley, it tells the story of their lives so far and I hope we all collect a lot more before our time is done. I want to leave with a face like a catcher's mitt and a body full of scars, imagine the stories I'll have! Some of my favorite scars on the people I love-


No comments: