Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Outside Finally!!!

Wow it's been a long winter! I can't believe the first outdoor ride of the season didn't happen until April 7th. Well this is northern Canada, I'm not sure what I expected but it was soooo nice to finally ride outside. Even if I did have to gear up and it took me nearly an hour to get myself and my bike ready. Another couple invited Amber and I for a 40km TT on the secondary highway just outside our place and I was so anxious to get out there all day! I put the new race wheels on and they looked and felt fantastic! Worth every penny. They sliced through the wind and the profile of my bike is a lot narrower without spokes coming out from the centre hub. Very, very sweet I highly recommend the new HED 3s (pictures to follow).

It's definitely a lot harder to ride outside than I remember. My legs were screaming right from the start, I still have some good power but as expected, I have very little endurance. I need a few more long rides in my legs before I can have a solid ITT. There was very little wind (which is surprising for this part of the country) and there wasn't much between my splits. The way out is a little more uphill but I was more fresh so I finished the first half in about 33:00 and the total ride in 1:05.57. The first running race is a month away and the first tri is only 6 weeks so it's time for me to sharpen up!!

1 comment:

Nadeen Halls said...

YAHOO! So glad to hear that the weather is starting to turn out there for y'all :) We have been SO lucky with the weather here. Junior's been on his bike a lot in the last few weeks and I think he's really excited about getting out so early. I've been twice but I still haven't switched out my 'trainer' tire so I've been a little uneasy about going too far from home. Sounds like Amber said you guys are coming out for IMC this year. Looking forward to seeing you. Junior's racing but I'm not. If you think you might want to come out over the next few months just let us know. We'd love to host you :)