Monday, March 30, 2009

Rubberlegs

It was a great weekend of training even though I took Friday off. I really needed a rest by the end of the week, I was feeling sluggish all week and my body was telling me to take it easy. I'm happy I went into the weekend fairly rested because Saturday I did a 80 minute run with the GP running crew and H-dog. I took it fairly slow, the ground is still really icy and there was no need to push the pace that day. Afterwards we had our usual triathlon coffee discussions, it's always fun to get together with everyone and gab about upcoming races or other things tri related.

That afternoon Amber and I went to a meeting to discuss the GP triathlon and any ideas that we could bring to add to the race. It was interesting to hear everyone's opinion but in the end it's usually the race director that has to do all the work. Fortunately we have a great "tri group" that will help out when needed, pre, during, and post race. The last time I did this race was the last year it was put on (2006) and I finished 2nd! My best result at that time. I love doing an early season sprint race to kick off the season and having it here in our home town is a real bonus! No travel!

Sunday I woke up a little early so I headed to the pool before bike class and pounded out 2500m with some strong 200m and 300m efforts. I need to really work on my speed in the water over the next month to sharpen up and get ready for some short-fast races this year. After that I rushed home and joined the few faithful riders for a tough, tough 80 minute sprint session a la Coach Troy. There were a lot of all-out 10 second sprints followed by 50 seconds rest reps throughout the workout. They really start to hurt by the time you've completed 4 sets of 5 reps. He even threw in a set of plyometric jumps in there just to make us all suffer to the bitter end. Needless to say my legs were rubber for the rest of the day but I'm confident this workout will pay off come outdoor riding season (if it ever comes).

No comments: