Friday, March 6, 2009

Back In Beautiful Jasper

I'm coming to the end of my two weeks on the road and I'm getting into a much more productive routine when it comes to training. When I first started last year I was absolutely wrecked everytime I had to hit the road. Getting up at 5:30am and driving for 2.5- 4.5 hours then working all day didn't leave a lot of energy to train in the evening. However now I've cut down the travelling to a maximum of 2.5 hours in the morning and the only time I really can't train is when I leave for Peace River in the morning, work all day then drive to High Level at night. That is my 12- 16hr work day and I have to do it once a month.

I've found some cheap hotels with gyms in them so I make sure that I get on the treadmill for an hour when I'm on the road and I feel so much better afterwards. I try and use the treadmill for my speed and hill work and I think it seems to be going well. It's the only time I'm not running with Harley and although I miss my running partner it's nice not having to wrestle with him on the leash when we run into another dog.

I arrived in Jasper yesterday evening and it was a great surprise to see Amber and Harley were already here. I'm a little jealous that they are out having fun today while I'm working but we all enjoy it here so much that I'm glad they get to spend more time having fun out on the trails. We have a lot of fun planned this weekend, some x-country skiing and some trail running, maybe even a swim tomorrow morning! As I was driving in yesterday I was getting that feeling of how nice it's going to be to start cycling here again. There are some of the best cycling routes here that I have ever seen. Challenging climbs, beautiful views, open roads, twisty decents, I can't wait! Hopefully early April will be nice enough to bring the bike, even if we have to gear up I won't mind. Not sure what Harley will say though.

No comments: