Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Fun In The Sun


It was a great weekend of training even though Amber and I are in the middle of a big deck building project. It's a very tough combination trying to complete house projects, working full time, and training but I think we've managed to do okay. We just have to put the deck boards on and the handrail and it's DONE.

I did get a chance to do a little training over the last few days, no swimming unfortunately but some great bike rides. Friday Amber suggested we take out the new mountain bikes for a spin and we had a great time at the Nordic Centre ripping through the trails while Harley sprinted to try to keep up. He was great for about 40 minutes but then the heat was too much and he just stopped. He went from all-out to complete stop, at least he knows when enough is enough. After a dunk in the river he was okay and Amber and I went out again for another hour while he rested at home.

Saturday I did a run part of the way with Harley and the remainder on my own. It was about 20kms total in 1:20, fairly comfortable pace but I didn't have the energy to keep going. The plan was to get in 2hrs but I'll have to wait until this weekend. Sunday I met up with Robert and a couple roadies and we went out for a hard 120kms. I was pushing the pace a little on the way out, the workout said to do it at 1/2 iron pace so I was sticking to that but on the way back Robert had the energy so he was pushing the pace and I was doing a lot more drafting. It was nice to get in a solid race-pace ride. I'm feeling pretty good about how training is going and other than this deck building project taking all of my additional energy I'm getting in some great workouts. Still need to spend a little more time in the pool and open water but that'll be the focus over the couple weeks leading up to the race, hopefully the weather is cooperative.

Yesterday I wanted to get in another ride before hitting the road again for work (I've determined that taking my bike up to High Level just isn't worth it) but the wind was gusting at about 40km/hr. Arrrrgghhhh! Not again. So I took a page from Amber's book and set up my trainer in the back yard and did a tough spin for an hour. It was kind of nice, it was the first time I'd been on a trainer outside and having the sun on you while the wind is howling isn't too bad. I'm glad I wasn't fighting the wind but still had the chance to be outside on my bike.

No comments: