Thursday, June 11, 2009

19 Guys- 3 Spots


I received the IMC qualification numbers last week and I'm excited to get out there and race GWN. I really want to push myself and see if I can lock up a spot for Ironman Canada. I wasn't planning on doing an Ironman this year but I really feel lost without some focused training and a BIG goal at the end of the summer. Ironman has kept me focused and healthy throughout the year and it is a real motivator to get on my bike in the middle of winter and kill myself for 2 or 3 hours. I've made such incredible progress with my fitness over the last couple years and I'd like to see how that translates with an Ironman. Last year I was setting PRs at every race and I ended up having a disappointing day in Louisville because of the heat and humidity. This year I'm still setting PRs and if I get the chance to compete in IMC I am going to be FULLY prepared.

It shouldn't be a surprise that I am in the most competitive age category and that 19 guys are going for 3 Ironman spots. I know there is going to be some great athletes there and I'm going to go into the race confident that I can qualify and set another PR. My training is going well, I have no serious health issues I just need to spend some more time in the pool and on my bike and I'll be ready.


Here's the allocation of IMC spots by age category;

Women 18-24 (0 women trying for 1 spot)
Women 25-29 (4 women trying for 1 spot)
Women 30-34 (3 women trying for 1 spot)
Women 35-39 (6 women trying for 2 spots)
Women 40-49 (6 women trying for 2 spots)
Women 50+ (0 women trying for 1 spot)

Men 18-24 (3 men trying for 1 spot)
Men 25-29 (4 men trying for 1 spot)
Men 30-34 (10 men trying for 2 spots)
Men 35-39 (19 men trying for 3 spots)
Men 40-44 (12 men trying for 2 spots)
Men 45-49 (8 men trying for 2 spots)
Men 50-54 (10 men trying for 2 spots)
Men 55-59 (1 man trying for 1 spot)
Men 60+ (4 men trying for 1 spot)

1 comment:

gnicholson said...

Marc Becker told me once that the only person he ever really competed against was himself.

Forget about the 19 guys and the 3 spots... that's out of your control. Focus on getting as fit as possible and doing your best on the day. :-)