Sunday, June 21, 2009

Can a Triathlete be Domestic?

Yes it is possible! I managed to bike 150kms yesterday with Amber and Robert and put the deck boards on our new deck. After taking a couple days off during the week because I was feeling really rough; swollen glands and very, very tired I was a little unsure about training on Saturday. However, I woke up feeling a lot better and had a chance to be lazy in the morning because it was raining. After laying around for a while and taking Harley to his first day at the kennel (which he loved) it cleared up around 10am and Amber was ready to join Robert and I for a long ride.

We headed out towards La Glace (about 50kms away) into a brutal headwind, Robert and I took it fairly easy because we new it was going to be a long day and Amber hung in our draft. The ride out to La Glace was very slow, 2hrs to do 50kms but considering the headwind it was okay. The next 50kms were with a tailwind and I was flying! I kept my heart rate in zone two and I reached Teepee Creek in an hour, that's 100kms in 3 hours. It was a lot of fun, I still felt fairly fresh and I'd finished riding 100kms. Cool! Robert was feeling a little tired from the training he'd done during the week so he was okay with only going 150kms as opposed to the 180kms we had planned for the day. I was okay with it too, I knew the final 25kms were going to be incredibly hard. We made the final turn home and Robert told me he needed to draft, he had nothing left so it was up to me to get us home. I suffered for well over an hour, the wind had picked up to about 40kms/hr in our face so I felt like I was going backwards. I spun as hard as I could and it was so frustrating to go from flying along at 50kms/hr to struggling to maintain 25kms/hr. I made it home completely spent and Robert said he was glad I was there otherwise he would not have made it. That was the longest ride of the year for me and I was happy to be feeling okay afterwards.

Today I did a good 3km swim and spent the rest of the day working on our deck. I'm happy I've made some good progress and now it actually looks like something that complements our house well. Amber did a lot of work in the yard and we put in a solid 8 hours improving our home. There are still a couple things I need take care of before the railing is here in a week, but most of the difficult work is done! Thank God! Who says a triathele can't be domestic.

No comments: