Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Jasper in the Springtime!



I love Jasper in the spring, finally the long winter has ended and you can feel the warmth in the air and summer is just around the corner. Amber and I spent an incredible Easter weekend in Jasper and I managed to thoroughly tire myself out with a lot of trail running. Fortunately I had company with Amber and Harley close by. I arrived Wednesday afternoon from Edson after Amber drove from GP and we had a nice meal at Evil Dave's, they definitely know how to cook fish and the salmon there was awesome. I worked most of the day Thursday but was ambitious enough to go to the pool in the morning and got in a few sets of 500s. After work we went to the "Hunger Games" and I was pleasantly surprised, it was a pretty good show.

Friday was the start of my trail running adventures, I did the Pyramid Lake climb with Amber and H-Dog and spent a good two hours out there enjoying the day. I'm not really in trail running shape so spent the rest of the day relaxing and recovering. I didn't want the weekend to go to waste so I was determined to get out there on Saturday and Sunday too, Saturday was a shorter-easier hour run up the #1 loop with a nice view of the town at the top and Sunday was a tough snow packed loop on the #8 trail. After Sunday I was really beat up and started to feel some bad pain under my right foot. I knew what was wrong, my calves were completely knotted up and my achilles was telling me to take it easy. Thankfully I have a wonderful wife and she massaged them for me for a good hour when we got back on Tuesday and things are coming back to normal now.

We also did a couple things we don't usually do, drove up to Maline Lake and took in the views and went to Jasper Park Lodge for lunch/dinner. I can see why people enjoy staying there it's an incredible hotel but I'd much rather stay in a cheaper hotel and enjoy being outside. That's what Jasper is all about for me.



No comments: