Wednesday, May 18, 2011

I Miss My Training Partner


It's been tough on Amber starting a new business a lot of her free time; evenings and weekends are spent working while I spend my free time training. I know she's determined to have a successful business and she is creating an incredible future for the both of us so I need to be supportive, I just really miss her.

When we first arrived in Grande Prairie we were both training for the Boston Marathon and then right into training for Ironman Louisville. We both felt really connected and went through the same suffering every weekend and weekday. We went out on the same long rides, the same long runs and the same open water swims and had stories to tell about what happened on this section of the course and what was hurting that day. We spent weekends in Jasper every month and turned them into mini-vacations with Harley. The last year and a half Amber has been doing much of her own training either strength training or Death Race training, and I have been doing my own Tri-training. I can't imagine having a job where I trained people all day and then had enough energy to come home at night and do my own training. She continues to amaze me and I'm looking forward to this spring and summer where we can hopefully get out together and have more stories to tell.

Suffering in training for an Ironman is just not fun if you are doing it all on your own, I know did it alone for my first Ironman back in 2005. I'm happy Amber and I are going back to Jasper for May long weekend, we get to experience a bit of the fun we used to have out there. Riding to Athabasca falls, Maline Lake, running through the beautiful trails and maybe getting in a swim or two. I love long weekends and I'm really looking forward to spending this one with the one I love.

No comments: