Thursday, February 11, 2010

Big Decision

Well a big decision for a triathlete is deciding to look for a new bike. Should I, or shouldn't I? Big decision for me. Fortunately I have a good friend in GP who works for a local sports store and is a seasoned IM athlete. He called me on Wednesday and said, "there is no one else in Northern Alberta that deserves a bike more than you do. You work hard and you should be on a Trek." Yes Robert you are a good salesman. He played into my ego and I'm still not sure if I "deserve" a new bike but I'm happy other local athlete's think that I do. I do train hard, although being in the pool today I realized I need to start concentrating on becoming a swimmer again it was a very, very hard 2500m.

I'm still debating whether I should get a new bike or not but Robert said he would put together "an unbelievable deal" for me so we'll see what he can come up with. There is a Trek I designed through their Project One sight, it's $10,000 USD but if he can't come down to at least $6,000, forget it. I do like the idea of riding a Trek I've never been a fan of getting the same bike as everyone else (that's why I bought a Griffen) but my bike is now 5 years old and they have not kept up with the latest technology and I want something that is a lot lighter. As much as I liked Griffen when I bought one, now it seems like it's a bit of a beast to get up the big climbs. I've done 5 Ironmans on it and it's served me well but I think its time to move on. I haven't made a final decision yet but I think I'll become a Trek athlete before the next season. There are a lot of GP athletes that ride Trek bikes and there is no way I can show my support for the local community more than becoming one of them. I think it's only a matter of time, they've already sucked me in.

1 comment:

Lisa Ulrich said...

A new bike - so exciting! I've heard the Trek's are really great bikes.