Saturday, September 13, 2008

It Feels Good To Get A Win In Our New Home!


Today was a great day I finally felt like this season has been an incredible success. After a somewhat disappointing Ironman a little 8km cross country race in little old Grande Prairie can renew your optimism and make you feel like all the work this year is worth it. Ironman is such an unforgiving race that you can work and work and work incredibly hard all year and then the day comes and you realize that it's just not your day or your race. It's very difficult to maintain your perspective and give yourself the credit you deserve. I've had a great season and I should be proud of myself but there is something about not feeling like you've performed your best in your focus race that is kind of a let down. However today I realized that I have made phenomenal progress this season and it came together with a win today.

Before the race I was very nervous, much more so than normal, there is an amazing triathlete up here named Trevor Kolkea who wins all the races and has had incredibly fast Ironman times. He was at the race and I knew that winning today was not going to be a foregone conclusion. He started the race so fast I was left in the dust in the first kilometer and I was really hurting just to maintain my "fast run" pace. Slowing but surely I inched my way closer to the two leaders, very, very slowly and by the 3km mark I was right behind them. They were going a little slower than my pace so I decided to stick to my own race and push past them. I didn't know if this was the right thing to do but if I was going to be beaten today I was going to give it everything I had!

It was a lot of suffering for the next 16 minutes and I was running scared but it was so nice to be in the lead and I was not going to give it up without a fight. It hurt like hell but I toughed it out and finshed with the win. Amber was going to take it easy but her competitive spirit came out and she won as well! Great job AD!


Run 7.5km; 26:49

No comments: