Thursday, June 30, 2011

6 Months Done

It's hard to believe we're half way through 2011, I just got used to writing 2011 instead of 2010 and now we're into the second half of the year. I'm not big on setting New Year's resolutions but I like to set New Year's goals and when I look back at the list I created for myself at the beginning of the year I have to say I've done a pretty good job so far. The biggest thing I wanted to change was to be healthier this year, 2010 was very difficult and I was getting the flu pretty much every month because of overtraining. This year has been great, I've managed to stay healthy and back off when I feel like something is coming on. I've trained more consistently and I can feel myself becoming a lot fitter because of it. There is something to be said about listening very carefully to what your body is telling you and responding to it appropriately.

The second half of the year is always a fantastic time, I'm kicking the summer of 2011 off with a return to Stony Plain and the Great White North 1/2 IM. It's where I set a PR in the 1/2 Ironman distance back in 2008 and it's my longest standing PR for any distance; 4:16.49. That year I went on to break 10 hours in IMC and I feel like I've been racing better and faster ever since. Based on how my training is going leading up to the race this year I'm confident I can break it if everything goes according to plan. I've been swimming more this year than any other and I feel really confident and strong in the water. I don't want to push too hard during the swim but if I can stay on-line and find someone's feet that I'm confortable drafting off of then I should be close to 30 minutes this year.

I'm really looking forward to the bike this year, I haven't really had a chance to test out the Trek on this course and I know I'm faster this year than previous years. In 2008 I did a 2:24.05, in 2009 I did a 2:27.35 and I know I can get that under 2:20 on this course. That should carry me into the run close to 2:50- 2:55 and I know I can run a sub- 1:20 half marathon on this course. So if all goes well I hope to set a new PR on Sunday and hopefully place in the top 5, it'll be a great battle between Kyle Marcotte, Geoff Symonds, and Paul Tichelaar this year and I'll have a front row seat.

That's the plan anyway, anything can happen on the day and I'm prepared to make adjustments as necessary but I want to go out and race as hard as I can and celebrate the fact that I'm healthly and active and doing what I love with Amber and some great friends. Hopefully see you out there on Sunday, happy Canada Day weekend!

No comments: