Tuesday, March 15, 2011

We're Outta Here!

Yes the time has finally come, Amber and I haven't taken a real vacation since we were married in Hawaii, October 2008. We've earned this well deserved break and we both need it, physically I'm exhausted from training very hard for the upcoming San Juan 70.3 and mentally I need to get away from work for a while, as I'm writing the market is down 200 points today... ugh. I'm glad I don't let the market determine my mood, otherwise I'd always be miserable.
Time for a break, not a lot of people (other than my training friends) would consider a 1/2 IM a holiday but I'm really excited not only to test myself but to see how Amber feels out there. She's never ridden her new bike outside and has been away from swimming and biking for quite a while. Her training has gone extremely well I just want her to have a good day and have fun, that's what I'm planning on doing. I think sometimes I work and work and work towards a goal and I tend to put too much emphasis on the result when it's the work leading up to it that is the rewarding part. The race is just the celebration of all the hard effort (and liters of sweat) that brings you towards that goal.

There is going to be wave starts during the swim, which is great and the bike course is a little long (93k) so I'm not expecting a PR but I'd like to still do well. In the end we're not going to make more or less money based on my time so it really doesn't matter, I'm glad I'm not a pro.

The one thing that's always tough when Amber and I fly somewhere is not being able to take our big boy with us. Harley definitely knew something was up last night when I was packing and this morning he was pouting... we'll miss you buddy.

No comments: