Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Actually It IS All About The Bike

I've never been one of those people that thought that having the best and newest equipment made a huge difference in performance and maybe for some people it doesn't. However today I became a convert, I felt an incredible difference between my new TTX and my old Griffen. The first major difference was the fact that the Trek is about 10lbs lighter than the Griffen, I know that the Boron Carbide that Griffen uses isn't the lightest material but WOW, what a difference a full carbon frame makes, I was flying up the hills. The ceramic bearings were unbelievably smooth it made my old bike feel like a rusty clunker. I have to adjust to the smaller frame size, I bought my Griffen from a guy who was about 6'2" and it was always a little big but now I feel really compact and low to the ground and it's going to take some getting used to.

I rode 90kms today and aside from a couple adjustments I can't believe how smooth it is. On my Griffen I felt every little bump in the road and after a long ride I would be so tired from the constant rattling from the road. I was so fresh after 90kms today I could have run a half marathon no problem. Thanks to Robert and Dean for setting me up with the new ride and of course thanks to my beautiful wife for realizing it was a big expense and supporting me in buying it. I guess I better race well this year now! Watch out Robert and Dennis now I know your secret.

1 comment:

Naomi Rae Nicholson said...

SWEET bike, Darin!!! Enjoy!!!!!!! :)