Sunday, November 8, 2009

36 Kilometers and 2hrs and 32 Minutes Later

Before


After

Okay so I know the toes are not the most attractive but I run about 50kms/week and this week will be about 80-100kms so imagine what your toes would look like.

Yes it's true, 7lbs lost after running 36kms this morning, that's 4.12% loss in 2 1/2hrs. I know most of that is just due to dehydration but it got me thinking about finding my optimum weight leading into Vegas. I went down to the gym in our basement and grabbed a 7lb medicine ball and I was shocked to see how large and how heavy 7lbs actually is! At the beginning of my run I was carrying around this medicine ball in my muscles, fat and tissues. That's a lot of extra weight when you are trying to prepare for a marathon. For the average ahtlete an extra 7 to 10lbs is not a big deal, if you are in shape and you've done the training, you'll still finish. However if you are trying to set a PR (like I am) any extra weight can't really slow you down.

Trying to find my ideal weight is a tough balancing act; I need to insure I'm eating enough to keep up with some of the hard training days to come and not eat too much to put me over the edge and slow me down. Right now I'm a little on the heavy side but in four weeks I'll be ready.

Today's run was very, very hard, I just got back from a work trip in which I didn't get a lot of training time. Harley was pushing me very hard at the start, which isn't unusual but today I just wanted a nice steady pace. I knew it was going to be a long day and I didn't want to use up all my energy in the first 21kms. My breathing was labored, I always had the feeling like I just wasn't getting enough air. There is something about running in the cold that makes me feel like there is no oxygen in the air, I think someone should do a study on that. I remember feeling the same way when I was training for Boston in March. Fortunately it turned out to be my best Marathon ever but I really paid for it out on the race course and it took me weeks to recover. I'm willing to make the same sacrifice on December 6th in Vegas but I still have some work to do, I'll get there 4 weeks to go.

5 comments:

Naomi Rae Nicholson said...

Great run, Darin! :)

I agree with you on the cold air...today, I felt the same at the beginning of my long run. I felt like I couldn't get enough air in for the first ~10 mins. I read your post aloud to Greg and he answered our question. Then I found the same answered summed up on WikiAnswers:
"Heat excites atoms and causes them to occupy more volume in space. So therefore, the hotter your air is, the thinner it is. Or vice versa, the cooler it is, denser it is." :)

Naomi Rae Nicholson said...

P.S. Oops! I spelled "answered" instead of "answer"...the teacher in me...always looking at my spelling. hahahaha! ;-)

Kelly B. said...

Dude.
Two words:
Pedi.
Cure.

Darin Hunter said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amber Dawn said...

LOL Kelly- you should have seen the COLOR version!
Darin is really indignant about his toes, he thinks they are 'runner's feet' ;)