Monday, December 15, 2008

Let Go Of My Lungs!!!

It's been well over a week now and this cold just will not release it's hold on my lungs. I took the entire week off and decided to go out for a little jog on Saturday morning with Harley just to see how I felt. I've been coughing like crazy all week and this weekend but I just needed to get moving again. We started out okay and Harley was running beside me at a good pace but after the first mile I felt myself slowing down. I was struggling to breathe and my muscles felt like they were being suffocated. It was the strangest feeling I've ever had, I was moving slower than I ever have before but every step made running harder and harder. I was running through water and breathing through a straw. I finally slowed to a walk after 4kms and I think Harley was disappointed in me, he normally loves running at my pace but today I just didn't have it.

I decided to skip our group ride as well, the last thing I needed was a tough Coach Troy session while not being able to breathe but Amber had fun with a couple other hardcore riders. They were "bending crank arms" while I laid on the couch, arrgh! I hope all this rest means I'm going to come back stronger in the new year.

After they finished Amber and I watched the IM world championships, we both wished we were back there and relived the experience again. It was such a great race and incredible to see so many strong athletes especially considering we both know how hot and humid it was. We know what it's like to race in conditions like that, Kentucky was very similar, although without the trade winds which made it A LOT harder for the athletes on the bike out there. Great race for Craig Alexander and Chrissy Wellington, two phenoms that found something special that day.

1 comment:

Nadeen Halls said...

Hey D - Sounds like you're having a tough go. That's too bad. We also watched IMH this weekend and agreed that we think it was one of the best ones so far. I can't believe Chrissy ... wow. That's one fast gal.

Life seems to be going good out here for us. We are working and enjoying the lifestyle. Of course it would be nice to see some familiar faces. We miss our friends in Calgary a lot.

Hope you have a great Christmas. Looks to be a little chilly. They say a big dump of snow for Christmas Eve here. We are going to lay low and enjoy some down time with the dogs.